Chocolate lovers might be able to reduce heart disease

With a chance to lose weight and reduce the risk of heart disease, students might consider eating dark chocolate on a daily basis.

According to an article by usatoday.com, eating dark chocolate in addition to working out regularly can reduce heart disease, and cause weight loss by speeding metabolism, while satisfying chocolate cravings.

“I have heard that dark chocolate has a lot of antioxidants,’ Betsy Rodriguez, 23, french major, said. “I would try eating dark chocolate daily just to figure out whether or not the theories are true.”

While some may consider eating chocolate to test the theories, others may not be easily persuaded.

“There is no relevance in exercising and eating dark chocolate,” Vincent Steward, 22, sports medicine major, said.

While he has heard that chocolate can reduce the risk of heart disease and cholesterol, he is unsure if these statements are true but would only eat dark chocolate because he enjoys it.

Before purchasing a favorite chocolate bar, students might want to do some research to learn more about how dark chocolate is beneficial for the body.

“There is a lot of misadvertisement out there, for example, there may be a box of cereal that would be considered good for you and turns out to have a lot of sugar,” Chrissie Zartman, 28, fitness center assistant said. “I am not a diet person. I try eating as healthy as I can,” Zartman said. “I would rather be able to have more information to consider whether or not it (eating dark chocolate everyday) is good for me.”

Katherine Lemus, 19, biology major said she would not try the chocolate diet without doing research on it first.

“If eating dark chocolate and exercising regularly will cut the risk of heart disease, then I would definitely try it,” Lemus said.

Aside from the idea that dark chocolate may reduce certain health risks, some students believe that the effect of a diet would depend on an individual’s lifestyle.

“I don’t believe in diets, but I do know the more you work out, the better it is for whatever diet you choose,” Roddy Lee, 21, chemistry major, said.