The annual spring powwow has been canceled

Those looking for another energetic and powerfully beautiful Powwow will have to wait until next year.

This years’ powwow has been cancelled, not due to budget cuts, but due to unforeseen events that left the students who usually put it together, unable to work within their time frame.

Prior commitments for these students were overwhelming, Dr. Emily Rader, Native American history professor, said.

“For over ten years we’ve been able to present the gathering of tribes, vendors, musicians and artists,” Rader said. “We feel badly that it isn’t taking place this year.”

She explained how the sound of drummers can be heard over a very large area of the neighborhood, and on campus the smell of the native dishes, such as fry bread have attendees lining up to try it.

“The powwow is a multi-tribal gathering open to the public to educate and inform about the lifestyle of many different groups of Native Americans. It’s a very visual presentation of dancers, drummers, vendors selling arts and crafts, as well as foods prepared for sale,” said Rader.

Alejandra Carranza would like to have experienced the event.

“If my scheduling permitted, I would have looked forward to going. It’s too bad it’s not gonna take place,” said Carranza, 21, sociology major.

Avis Wilson, job developer and placement advisor, has attended the powwow more than five times.

“I look forward to the dancers and the young people dance with such energy,” Wilson said. “And the regalia that they wear are so amazing and simply beautiful. They don’t like to refer to them as costumes, and they’re very proud to tell you what they mean.

Wilson also looks forward to the Indian fry bread, as well as the jewelry. She says her mom always buys something when they come.

Rader points out that it is basically a social and cultural event inviting people to come to watch and get a better understanding of the Native American lifestyle and tradition.

“The people are just wonderful, and give such great information to the public,” said Wilson. ” It will be missed.”