ICC attempts to collect 345 Units of blood

Students are needed at the American Red Cross blood drive event sponsored by the Inter-Club council starting on Tuesday, March 13 located in the East Lounge of the Activities Center.

The annual blood drive will take place from March 13-14 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and March 15 from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.

“One pint of blood saves three lives,” Breanna von Stein, student service specialist, said.

Any persons 17 or older or 16 with parental consent, is eligible to donate, however you must meet certain eligibility which include weight restrictions and certain medical conditions, according to the American Red Cross’ eligibility requirements.

“It’s a relatively easy way to give back to the community,” von Stein said.

The Inter-Club Council and the American Red Cross have been partnering up since September 2000 and have an expectation to meet a goal of 345 units, von Stein added.

Students are encouraged to register online, through the American Red Cross website, for an appointment time to expedite waiting.

“The key factor will be for students to make appointments ahead of time,” von Stein said.

The Red Cross will have the donor go through a four-step process.

The process includes registering with your donor card, driver’s license, or other form of ID, a confidential physical, eight to 10 minutes of donating and finishing with a rest period of eating a snack and re-hydrating, according to the Red Cross website.

The Red Cross recommends donors to be well rested, drink an extra 16 ounces of fluids and eat a healthy meal, avoiding fatty foods before donation.

“Eat a nice big ol’ breakfast,” Ricky Gonzalez, secretary of the Inter-Club Council, said.

In addition to donating, donors will receive a voucher for two tickets to a L.A. Galaxy game and will be eligible to enter into a regional drawing for a Disneyland annual pass.