Club hosts Recycle Week

The Sustainability Committee hosted a recycle week last week on EC campus. The committee’s goal was to bring awareness to the students about recycling and helping the environment.

Various clubs were suppossed to participate in collecting bottles and cans. The group that collected the most cans won a cash prize for their club.

In total, 1,159.5 bottles and cans were collected by the Sustainability Committee.

All of them were donated by the Women in Technology Club.

The committee is trying to become an official club on campus, so they can continue to  spread their message to not only EC students, but to the local community as well.

“We need to cut down on waste and don’t over use,” Jasmine Hormati, ASO vice president, said.

The committee wants students to become active recyclers around campus and in their own lives.

They are pushing for the campus to go greener by getting more recycling bins on campus and pushing for faculty and staff to go paperless and have the book store use canvas bags instead of plastic.

In order for the committee to spread its message, Joshua Casper, student trustee, said  that students should start a  petition to keep the committee on campus.

He added that students should start writing letters to Tom Fallo, president, and the board of trustees.

“By reusing  the resources we have, we won’t take away more from the environment,” Casper said.

Hormati said she is excited  about next year and about creating a greener campus. The committee wants students to learn alternative ways  to go green and plan to give presentations and host movie nights promoting different ways to help out the cause.

“It shows we care and want to improve our school and community for future generations,” Casper said.