New drop-off zone enforces safety

Already running late for class, the student asks his parents to just drop him off at the stop sign in front of the Humanities Building.

While he’s getting out of the car, he notices a cadet walking toward him with a citation for $38 for disobeying the signs in the passenger drop-off zones.

“It’s just a safety issue,” Sgt. Dal Toruno said, “A lot of people are not complying with the signs and are not using the area for dropping off people. When they do this, it creates a bottleneck effect that then becomes a safety hazard in the front of campus.”

Toruno said there will be cadets outside during the drop-off peak times, from 7:30 to 9 a.m., to enforce traffic and control some of the chaos. People who don’t comply, he added, will receive a citation

The new citation, created one month ago, will be a motivation for students, faculty and campus visitors to obey the signs. The campus police have gotten numerous complaints from students and faculty, Toruno said.

“Many faculty members who work in the Administration Building and students come to us and complain about the amount of congestion there is in front of campus at the drop-off zone,” he said.

“A lot of people don’t even use the zone. They stop in the middle of the traffic lanes and let their passengers out at the stop signs,” Toruno added.

Toruno said the campus police have not handed out many citations since they imposed the fine one month ago and that students are more likely to comply with the threat of a citation.

“I think it’s fair because a lot of people park in the drop-off zones and hold up traffic,” Nathan Pumphery, creative writing major, said, “I get dropped off there and during peak times, the traffic can be difficult to deal with. The police should fine people only during peak times.”

Students have responded favorably to the new citation, but think the fine may be too expensive.

“I think it is little unfair just because it originally was not regulated,” Kate Steiner, philosophy major, said. “It does get kind of crazy over there though.”