Transferring gets easier with help of counselors

Due to the recent budget cuts, transferring is just getting harder.

Students who plan on transferring need to do the planning early, Sue Oda-Omori, Transfer Center Coordinator, said.

“Things are more competitive due to the state of the budget,” she said

Oda-Omori states that there are many things that students can do to transfer, besides focusing solely on maintaining a decent grade point average (GPA).

“Preparation towards a major is critical,” Oda-Omori said.

She added that universities prefer students who have prepared for their major with activities such as internships. She also said that for those students involved in extracurricular activities, a leadership position  is another way of enhancing one’s image among universities.

According to the California Colleges’ website, completing one’s major preparation course work and general education requirements while at a community college can make the student more competitive.

“A student’s involvement in the community and personal factors are some things universities look at,” Oda-Omori said.

However, students should not take on to much in an attempt to impress. Quality of involvement is better than quantity, she said

Being the first person in the family to go to college and having different family responsibilities are factors also taken in to consideration, Oda-Omori said.

A decent GPA is no longer cutting it when universities become over whelmed with applicants, she added.

Joe Holliday, Honors Transfer Program (HTP) coordinator, said that it is important for students to make a habit of meeting with counselors.

“Students should see a counselor every year and every semester that approaches transferring,” Holliday said. “Students are unaware of change of rules or requirements that a counselor could help with.”

With the odds stacked against EC’s students including Diego Tirado, communications major, begin to feel the pressure  of applying for universities.

“I think it is unfair to put more obstacles in students’ paths,” Tirado said. “It is almost like denying students of a higher education, which is the worst thing anyone can do.”

Holliday also said EC is working on making it easier for students to transfer.

“President Tom Fallo and the Transfer Center are working with Cal State Long Beach and Cal State Fullerton to include EC as one of its local area schools to make it easier for EC students to transfer there,” Holliday said.

Despite the challenges presented to students, Holliday assures the students will be successful at EC.

“We have one of the best and biggest colleges with good quality,” Holliday said. “No one is better than us.”