Sharkie promotes healthy way of living

One out of every three people in the United States is obese, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website.

That’s one of the reasons why Charleen “Sharkie” Zartman, physical education professor, is advocating healthy living.

Zartman recently launched a new inspirational radio show that encourages students and adults to embrace healthy lives mentally, physically and spiritually.

The internet based show, “Pep Talk”, deals with topics such as fitness, mental health and happiness; she also gives “tips and pointers” on how to live a better life, Zartman said.

“My goal for this show is to fire people up,” she said. “I want to give people the motivation to live life better.”

Zartman said after doing press interviews on the radio stations in New York, to promote her book, “Shark Sense”, she wanted to find a way to reach the South Bay public.

“When I came back (to the Los Angeles area) after the New York trip, I looked online for different ways I could possibly get on the radio and get my message out there,” Zartman said. “I came across HealthyLife.net and noticed they were looking for radio talk show hosts. I emailed the owner of the site and she instantly responded. I was on the air about two weeks later,” she added.

Healthylife.net, syndicated 24 hours, seven days a week, is a website dedicated to promoting the well-being of people. According to the values listed on the website, its mission is to eliminate fear, advance positive thought and encourage that [the public] is here for the greater good for all.

Zartman said that she deeply appreciates the opportunity to be apart of such a website.

She said she likes to interview well-balanced people who can advocate the principles of success, healthy eating; she also likes to interview people who will not harm others with their information and who also can contribute to the website.

“I don’t want to promote fad diets, or things that hurt others,” Zartman said. “What makes my show different from the others is that I interview a variety of valid people who I know will promote inspirational information.”

She added that everybody can do something to improve their lives and that she wants to give them the principles that are important to live a balanced life and implement them in their daily routines.

Zartman said she interviews dieticians, coaches, athletes and anyone who has a background in healthy living. She said she has spoken to at least three faculty members from EC including Coach John Featherstone and Traci Granger, physical education professor.

“I had a fun experience on the show,” Granger said, “She’s doing a really good job and I think she is the right person to be a motivational speaker. It takes practice but she is definitely on the right track.”

Granger said that during her interview with Zartman, she talked about athletics, competing and nutrition.

The shows are recorded and archived, Zartman said, so that people can revisit the subjects relevant to their needs.

“I just want to rev people up, fire them up and get them moving into healthy living,” Zartman said. “Everyone can live a good life, no exceptions.”