Fines around campus aimed to keep EC safe

Tickets are being handed out; anything from parking without a permit, or riding a skateboard or  bicycle on the inner campus will have students’ wallets feeling a strain.

With almost three weeks of the fall semester in the books, the cadets and the officers on campus are going to start cracking down harder on students with different fines around campus.

“Right now, in the fall semester, we have new students coming from high school,” Sgt. Dal Toruno of the El Camino Police Department said. “We don’t want to slam these students. We want to educate the students.”

“I’m sure these students don’t have two hundred fifty bucks to give away, but we gotta balance it out with the safety issue. We have a job to do,” he added.

Joseph Rojo, 20, administration of justice major said that there are also other ways to avoid fines.

“People should help each other and trade off the two dollar parking permits when they are done with them at the end of the day,” he said.

Although there are numerous signs around the campus telling students not to ride their skateboards and bicycles, some of the new students, including Kent Nishiya, 18, undecided major, did not know that it is against the rules .

“Now that I know that the fine is so high, I won’t be skating on the inner campus,” he said. “I will be carrying my skateboard .”

Already with the poor economy, some of the students think the fines are a little too excessive.

“I think (the fines are) too high,” Giovanni Islas, 23, undecided major, said. “We still have to pay for classes and books and most of us don’t use financial aid, so money comes out of our own pocket.”

Although Toruno emphasized that the cadets are there for the safety of the students, one student did not have a good experience when he came across a cadet.

“I was skating on campus and I was going really fast when suddenly, a cadet stepped in front of my tire of the skateboard,” Kacey Runningbear, 21, art major, said. “And then he said, ‘You can’t be riding that.’”

Although the economy has been hurting a lot of the students’ pocket books, Toruno said that he and the other cadets and police officers still have a job to do on campus and that is to keep students safe.

“For skateboarders and bicycle riders, it’s a big liability issue,” he said. “We’ve had people doing some Tony hawk moves and their flying skateboards and they can hurt somebody.”