Construction confuses new students and faculty

Building renovations that have been taking place for the last few years are affecting the ways students have been getting around campus.

“I think it was very inconvenient to have to walk around to get to class,” Felix Mares, 24, music education major, who has most of his classes in the Music Building, the front of which was blocked off last semester due to the construction, said.

The construction has not only inconvenienced students but also those that work at EC.

Karen Allen, who works in the Administration Building, also said how the construction has effected her.

“Well, it was pretty bad until they opened the road,” she said. “The parking is horrible and I work at 9:45 a.m. so I have to get here too early to get a space.”

New students have also found it difficult to find their way around campus.

Melina Mossberg, 19, helps students find their way at one of the various tables set up around campus during the first week of classes. When asked which building she was most frequently asked to locate, she said the Social Science Building because it’s brand new.

However, not all students have let the inconvenience effect them. Students on campus are looking forward to the newly constructed buildings, Bruce Hoerning, assistant director of facilities planning and services, said Tuesday.

Most students are very flexible, Hoerning said, and they understand that we are here to make the campus more functional and appealing.

“I am happy that the Social Science Building is open and parking is now open. The new building is nice and spacious,” Chris Hinajosa, music major, 23, said.  “Although the construction is inconvenient, I am really looking forward to the new and improved campus.”