‘Education, not Militarization’ rally to fight for education this Thursday

When Randy Firestone, behavioral and social sciences professor, found out that students weren’t upset regarding the shortage of funds that threatened higher education while the military’s budget remains strong, he decided to do something about it.

So with the help of the Philosophy Club, he started the  “Education, not Militarization” rally, which will take place on campus today from 1-1:50 p.m. All students are encouraged to attend.

“I was disgusted that they (students) weren’t standing up for education, especially when there’s so much to lose,” Firestone said. “So I asked the Philosophy Club to get involved.”

The club has a sub-group working on a project to get other campuses involved in “Student Fight Back Week”, which runs from May 16-20.

During that time, club members are encouraging schools around the country to hold venues in support of more funding going to education.

These schools are being asked to hold peaceful rallies chanting the phrase: “Education, not Militarization.”

Legislators have made clear that while the funds for education are disappearing, it will never happen to the military because those funds are “off limit,” Firestone said.

The goal of the event is to raise the consciousness of others and to realize that schools are more important than the effort to invest in keeping the war going. The club believes that maintaining educational opportunities for students should be reconsidered.

Debra Bowen, Secretary of State, will be a political speaker for the event, as well as Peter Mathews.

“Mathews’ talk will be on ‘Education over Oil Companies’, and he has started a petition to tax oil companies for off-shore drilling, with the proceeds going towards education,” Firestone said.

Curtiss Jensen, president of the Philosophy Club, has great expectations for the week ahead, as well as the rally.

“We’re hoping for a positive change; I don’t totally agree with the current policy regarding the schools losing funding,” Jensen.

The club has sent out invitations for speakers, and political figures that can come forth in support of trending money back to the government so that students can complete their educations.

Richard Bernot, member of the Philosophy Club, has been very busy, with the club letting other student know what’s about to occur.

They plan a huge outcome.

“We’ve sent out letters to 120 schools, asking them to assist us by participating in next week’s event. It would be great if we could get some support,” Bernot said.