Associated Students Organization gets a new president

With the results of the recent Association Students Organization (ASO) elections in, the elected student officials are eager to get started.

Rebekka Asher was voted the president elect of ASO after serving as the Senator of Natural Sciences.

“I feel like being a president elect is such a privilege, and it energizes me.  We are all here for the same purpose but as president of ASO I can help students get to that purpose,” Asher said.

Asher, who will officially be president in the fall semester, said that understanding how the current slumping economy affects students will be a big focus for her.

“How the economy is I just want to provide a sense of hope for students next fall and inform students on how important education is.  I want students to look at ASO as guidance,” Asher said.

Asher’s other main goal is to increase awareness to students as to what ASO is.  She was elected after an 876 student-voter turnout for the elections.

“One of my goals next semester is to create more awareness on our campus.  It is hard to advocate when you don’t have students support because no one knows we exist,” Asher said.

To achieve more recognition on campus she said she plans to have more small awareness events, with possibly one event a month just so students can gain knowledge of ASO and its members. 

Jasmine Hormati, new vice president elect, said she also plans to make students even more aware of ASO and what their organization entails. 

“Moving into this position it gives me the chance to make myself more available to the students so they are aware of who ASO is,” Hormati said.

Hormati’s goal for next semester is to keep students better informed and more aware of what is going on around their campus.  She also wants to develop better connections with the 14 other schools in our district to gain ideas from them and apply it to our school as well.

“I definitely want to keep students more informed next semester not only with what is going on around campus but statewide issues that can affect our school,” Hormati said.

Melina Mossberg, new Public Relations Officer elect, looks to help out her ASO peers.

Her goal is to finish the goals that the former Public Relations Officer Nicole Reinertsen’s already started.

“As Public Relations Officer elect I can reach out to students and get them to see the positive side of things, be more spirited and more comfortable on campus,” Mossberg said.