Acceptance rates decline despite increase in college applications

It is that time of year when students rush to their mailboxes and stay by their computers patiently waiting for college admission decisions. But the college acceptance rate continues to drop as students apply to more colleges.  

“This is a growing trend and I encourage students to apply to multiple campuses,” Sue Oda-Omori, Transfer Center coordinator and counselor, said. “This gives students a lot of options and broadens their horizon.”

The recent trend set by students has caused a 7 percent increase in college applications according to the Los Angeles Times.  But this increase posts a decline in the college admittance rate. According to UCLA’s Profile of Admitted Transfer Students the rate dropped from 33 percent admitted in 2009 to 29 percent in the fall of 2010. 

And as California faces proposed budget cuts, it will continue to limit the University of California (UC) and California State University (CSU) systems’ admissions, Oda-Omori said. She feels it is important that students start applying to both private and out-of-state colleges.

“There is an increase in applications to UC and CSU colleges,” she said. “Therefore it is impacting the admission rate and the CSU system must reduce the number of students they admit.”

With a possible fee increase, UC and CSU systems’ tuition is now comparable to that of private colleges Oda-Omori said.

“If you compare them, there is not much of a cost difference,” she said. “There are also many scholarships (private colleges) have to offer so it is very appealing to students.”

For Lisa Nena, 21, English major, private colleges were the only ones on her list. She will attend Azuza Pacific University (APU) in the fall and even though she said it might cost a little more, she is excited about the opportunity.

“I feel that private colleges have a higher acceptance rate,” Nena said. “Also I am transferring in as a junior which at a CSU I would have transferred as a sophomore.”

Other students feel that applying to many different colleges will give them a better chance of being accepted. 

“It is important for me to apply to as many colleges as I can,” Tray Thompson, 26, broadcast journalism major said. “At first I was only looking at UC and CSU colleges but now I am interested in private colleges too. Things are so tight and I don’t want to be disappointed.”

While students look to keep their options open, some are interested in staying in the geographical area. This forces them to apply to multiple colleges in the UC and CSU systems.

“I am first applying to colleges in the UC system,” Jessica Sullivan, 18, English major said. “If I don’t get accepted, I will move on and apply to some CSU colleges.”

But the trend is causing tougher competition for students.

“When I was first out of high school and applying for college, it was quite a bit easier compared to now,” Stephen Valiza, 22, business major said.

As many student wait for college admission decisions, a feeling of uncertainty lingers for the years to come. 

“At this point we can’t focus on just one or two colleges,” Thompson said. “We need to apply to many for a better chance to get in.”