Students start thinking of alternatives as winter session may see classes cut

With so much opposition against winter session cut, students have created a petition against the proposed academic calendar change with several hundred signatures.

They also plan on attending the town hall meeting schedule at 1 p.m. on April 7 in which the topic will be the budget.

As the proposed state budget cuts move full steam ahead, students are advised to plan for all contingencies.  Even though there is no formal proposal to eliminate winter session, a reduction in the number of courses offered will take place all around.

Budget uncertainties put faculty and students on edge as forums were held last fall to discuss the possibility of eliminating winter session.

With the proposed budget cuts in preliminary stages and talk surrounding a change in the academic calendar, students are advised to plan ahead for what’s to come.

“There are no plans to make changes to the academic calendar,” Jeanie Nishime, vice president, student and community advancement said. “We are still having a winter session but we need to reduce the number of courses offered.”

As Nishime and many other people wait to see if the tax extension package makes it on the upcoming ballet there are three scenarios of budget cuts EC faces; the first option includes a seven percent cut; second option is an 11 percent cut, and third option would be an 18-20 percent reduction. Taking all three options into consideration, Nishime says it’s important to save wherever applicable and winter is the most costly session.

“Faculty is not on contract during this session so we need to pay extra for this,” Nishime said.

She went on to say that she wants to keep the college’s doors open and keep faculty happy.

While Nishime needs to deal with the budget crisis, she also wants to do what is in the best interest of the students.

Jeffrey Cohen, professor, mathematics, opposes any focus on winter session cuts.

“Winter session is our highest success rate and retention rate of the four sessions,” Cohen said.

This proves that students stay enrolled in classes and have great success during winter session.

At the past two forums held at the beginning of the year, an overwhelming representation of students attended.  Jam packed leaving standing room only at each forum, students vocalized their concerns and took a stand. As many students feel they will be affected if there is an academic calendar change, they wanted their views to be heard.

Many transfer students would be against any change in the academic calendar.  For these students, it would hinder their transfer to a university.

“Students don’t want to wait a session longer, this won’t benefit anything,” Mahwish Akhtar, 20, communications major said.

Other students will seriously think about changing colleges if this change goes into affect.

“I am used to taking classes year round and want to continue that way,” Rilando Boudroux, 19, criminal justice major said. “If I have to change colleges to do that, I will.”