New technology helps students on campus

Rushing to the counter, stomach grumbling from skipping breakfast, you muster up enough energy for a sigh of relief; you finally returned your book on time.
Then the librarian tells you it was due yesterday.
Maybe next time, you think, as you regrettably hand in what was supposed to be your breakfast money.
Well, now Datatel, which provides software services to EC, is making students’ lives a little easier with its newest application, Mox, a mobile application that can be downloaded from iTunes.
According to Datatel’s website, the application will provide important information for students and faculty on the go.
Notifications are sent to your phone about the latest campus news, current or future events and even when that certain book you borrowed is due.
It’s a convenient tool that any student should use to stay aware of news that is usually only available on the college website.
It is also helpful since it is difficult to find available computers on campus; mainly because they are already being used and you have to wait. With this application, students wouldn’t have to wait in a horrendous line just to find out what room their class is in.
With the application, students can look at the courses they are currently taking, specific details of the course such as the instructor’s name, the course number, location and time of the class.
If students don’t know where their class is and don’t want to spend an hour searching for the class, look no further.
The application provides them with maps using Google Maps, giving specific locations of all the buildings around campus. Directions to the college are even provided.
Access to faculty information is also readily available. If students need to know an instructor’s office hours, their e-mail or phone number, the application provides that also.
Contact information is also given for offices like Student Services, Financial Aid and others.
The only bad news is that the application is only available for Apple devices like the iPhone, the iPad and the iPod Touch.
It is a very useful tool and it is unfortunate that it is not available for every student to use, but look for that to be changing soon.
According to Datatel’s website, the application will soon be available for the Blackberry and the Google Android.
Students should definitely give the application a chance because it should prove useful and help save them time they can’t afford to lose. With students competing for seats in classrooms, this application is crucial.
So next time you check out that library book, you can rest assured that your money will indeed be used for breakfast and not to pay another late fee.