International Festival fund raises locally and abroad

In hopes raising funds to aid victims of the Haiti earthquake, the International Club will be hosting the International Festival on the Library Lawn on Thursday, Dec. 2 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Tragedy struck Haiti last January when an earthquake of a 7.0 magnitude hit the region killing more than 200 thousand people.
“It’s great that we’re trying to help out the disaster relief because it was so long ago that people don’t realize that people are still affected by it,” Nestor Rogel, 20, music major said. His pop alternative band, Midnight Urge, will be performing along with DJ sets by Ninja.
Food and other attractions will be featured to help raise money and promote different cultures.
50 percent of the profits generated by each club will go to the Red Cross who will later use the money to help Haiti victims. The other 50 percent will go toward the clubs who are participating.
“Our goal is to raise money for Haiti. We’re going to have participating clubs provide a cultural presentation and have foods, some goods or services available, Lisa Brown, 22, English major and International Club president said.
Each individual club will be responsible for setting their own prices for their services.
“We asked them to be reasonable so hopefully not a lot of clubs will go over $5,” Brown said.
A total of nine clubs signed up for the event. Including the Muslim Student Association, MSA, which will provide henna tattoo designs as well as a triangular appetizer called Samosas. The Italian club will have a bake sale, and will be selling two pizza slices for $3, Devin Turner, 19, music major, and Italian Club president said. Profits made will help contribute to a study abroad trip to Italy.
This event proves that the disaster that struck that country almost a year ago has not been forgotten and the idea of international help is still alive even if it’s at a smaller range, Brown said.
“We really want to push the idea of internationalism,” Brown said, “and help our fellow brothers and sisters out there.”