Canned food drive sponsored by First Year Experience

With the holidays around the corner the First Year Experience program invites the campus to take part in their Canned Food Drive and give back to the community.
All cans are welcomed from vegetables, meat and baby formula.
“We really need as much as possible, because of the economy at the moment a lot of people will not be having a thanksgiving dinner and this will be very beneficial to them,” Selina Castro, 18, business major and a member of the FYE program said.
Donations can be taken to the First Year Experience office located in the Student Services Building Room 204 by November 24.
The cans collected will be given to “Food Finders”, a non-profit organization who will later distribute the food among struggling families, Theresa Clifford, First year Experience secretary said.
“On average, Food Finders helps feed 16,000 people a day, reducing the amount of food insecurity prevalent in neighborhoods throughout Southern California,” according to it’s official website, www.foodfinders.org.
The organization accepts money and food donations or volunteer work.
“Right now we’re only going to be doing canned food but please don’t let it be expired,” Castro said.
Groups such as homeless shelters, battered women shelters and orphanages throughout the Los Angeles County, she added. will benefit from this help
“It’s not only for Thanksgiving, food finders collects food year round so if people can’t donate now, anytime is good and any canned food really helps,” Castro said.