Students network with employers at job fair

Over 30 local employers participated in the annual Internship and Job Fair on the Library Lawn, yesterday with an estimated 400 students in attendance, Van Nguyen, career center coordinator, said.

“The Internship and Job Fair’s main purpose is to bring in companies that actually offer jobs or work that relates to students’ majors or field of interest,” Nguyen said. “Also, it is work that is more hands on.”

Students were encouraged to bring resumes so that they may apply for possible jobs or internships on the spot. Among some of the employers participating in the Internship and Job Fair were the Los Angeles Police Department, Boys and Girls Club, Peace Corps, Vector and the Beach Cities Health District.

Levels of experience required varied among companies. Some companies require an associate degree, others a certain number of units relating to the job and some don’t require experience at all, Nguyen said.

“Internships offered to EC students are both paid and non-paid, it varies,” Nguyen said.

Although EC students are competing with local university students who may have completed higher levels of education, Nguyen thinks that EC students are just as capable.

“By recruiting community college students like EC students, I believe they get the students who tend to be more enthusiastic, have strong motivation and strive to be the best,” Nguyen said.

Fairs such as the Internship and Job Fair and other career fairs sponsored by EC’s career center are a great way for students to network with employers and learn about the different jobs available for different careers and majors, Nguyen said.

“I think this a great way for students to know of the job opportunities that there still are out in the workforce, despite the current economic situation,” Pedro Delgado, 20, kinesiology major, said. “It’s encouraging to see that our hard work and education does pay off if you land the internship that you want.”