Forensics team ready for success

Battling it out amongs many other community colleges, the forensics team will compete in the “Warm Up” tournament at Whittier College Oct. 1-2.
The team has a history of performing extremely well and exceeding expectations.
Last year, Mark Faaita, 20, English and communications major, said the team placed fifth in the nation for community colleges at the university level.
“It was really cool because we received a standing ovation from all the universities last year,” Faaita said.
Forensics has different categories of events. These include debate, individual events, and overalls.
“Each competition is different,” Richard Ewell, 21, political science and philosophy major said. You’re able to see the arguments themselves and cases other teams are using. It’s difficult because each one has a different judging pool.”
The team is coached by Francesca Bishop and Diana Crossman and practices two times a week.
“Last night I went to bed at 2:30 a.m. Looking up various articles for research,” Faaita said.
In addition, not only did the team have a pretty good year, it won four gold medals last year at state.
“The only room for improvement would be to do better in individual events, personally, and win six gold medals instead of four,” Faaita said.
This year the team is large; there are close to 30 members. A major challenge faces the team this year.
“As a team there is a lot of youth. With this new talent the old members are going to have to help them come along and mature,” Faaita said.
Richard Ewell, is one of the team’s rising stars. “There’s no midnight to this princess,” Faaita said.
Faaita said the goal is to finish first in debate at the National Parliamentary Debate Association’s competition.
The first competition is a relaxed one with each round containing a different challenge.
“This allows us to shake rust loose for returners and get feet wet for the newcomers,” Faaita said.