ASO appoints members

With the semester underway, new commissioner positions are being appointed for the Associated Students Organization following the last senate meeting.
“I am very enthusiastic to see students get involved and see new people get involved in student government,” Harold Tyler, director of student development said.
Tyler added the purpose of the senator is that the senators should connect with the division and the dean as each senator represents of different branch of studies.
“We are trying to grow it like the House (of representatives), this will be our representative group,” Tyler said.
Jameel Younis, Senator of business, said the main goal for ASO is instead of having the usual five-people division councils that make up most of the senate that it can create an even bigger division council.
“The council will serve as a cross section of the division, their main duty is to serve as a liaison between the division, dean and students,” Younis said.
Commissioners will take finding as to what students want from their division and bring them to the senators who then take these concerns or comments back to the division so that the division and the dean are in the loop as to what the students want.
ASO president Jessica Lopez believes that at least eight people will be appointed as commissioners to the senate. Some of the commissioners could be referred to the senate so they can become senator division councilors.
“Those that have been appointed have shown more dedication, for those showing more dedication they will be promoted,” Lopez said.
Tyler said in the past many students just jumped into executive cabinet positions and have never done a starting ASO position. Since there are few available senate positions, those not appointed as senators will become commissioners working alongside the division senators.
“That group will be like an entry level position to the executive level,” Tyler said.
By becoming a commissioner, the appointed commissioners will then begin joining different councils that begin planning out different activities. Tyler hopes for an intermingling of senate divisions to create a better cultivation of ideas.
“We’ve got to think outside the box with student government; someone may come with a great idea and we can make it happen,” Tyler said.