Students question candidates

Financial aid, classes and jobs were some of the issues that students brought up with the candidates for the California State Assembly on Monday at the Robert Haag Recital Hall.
There were four candidates present: Betsy Butler, James Lau, Nathan Mintz and Mitch Ward.
“I am glad I had the opportunity to compare the candidates’ views side-by-side,” Lee Takeuchi, speech communications major, said.
Members of the Associated Students Organization and also of the speech and debate team were present at the meeting.
Some students with the help of Mark Urista, speech communications instructor, developed questions to ask the candidates.
“Last week I had my class divide up into groups and had them come up with two to three questions,” Urista said. “Then those groups shared their questions with the class and we chose the best ones.”
Urista said that over the course of the week, the students developed and polished their questions through constant e-mail.
“I really wanted the questions to be concise and well developed,” Urista said. “It was almost like writing an essay.”
After each candidate gave an opening statement, the floor was open for questions.
Each candidate was given three minutes to answer the question and they were not allowed to ask each other questions.
Urista said that some of the students who asked questions were nervous but from an instructor’s point of view, being involved helps to build confidence and it helps them in the long run.
“I thought the event went really well and afterwards, some of the candidates came up to me and told me that they were really impressed with the questions the students brought up,” Urista said.
Joshua Capser, ASO president said that it is important for voters to be educated on the issues.
“I was really grateful to Professor Urista for organizing this event and I was glad that at least four of the candidates were able to show up because it gives an opportunity to educate ourselves about our representatives,” Casper said.