Healthcare brings mixed feelings

Students across the nation will be affected by the recently-passed health care bill which will provide coverage to college students until the age of 26 under the parents’ insurance, according to the committee of Education and Labor.
“(The health care bill) is a major social legislation that will affect more than 30 million uninsured Americans providing them with health coverage,” Eduardo Munoz, political science professor, said.
The health care reform, signed by President Barack Obama on March 23, will require health insurance plans to continue covering dependent children until the age of 26, instead of 23 as it was before.
“I don’t like it because the government is forcing you to it and you should have the options to free health care,” Shane Emerson, 19, marine biology major, said. “It’s like car insurance, people are going to start going without it anyway.”
It may be an advantage to some students since many lose insurance coverage after graduating. The reform also guarantees that all children and students who have existing health problems not be denied coverage from insurers.
“I don’t think they are actually solving any problems. It’s just making people think that the government is doing something,” Cait Davis, 17, undeclared major, said. “But, I think it’s good that you can stay in your parents insurance for longer.”
Also, the reform will help fund doctors who work in underserved areas and under the Title VII Health Professions Education program, grants will be granted to individuals so that the work force in health care may be more ethnically diverse, according to the American Academy of Physician Assistants.
Munoz also said that some (Republicans) argue that it will be too costly ($940 billion over the next 10 years) and that it is unconstitutional to force citizens to have insurance coverage.
If in the November elections Republicans gain control over Congress, then they may propose to veto the law. But, Munoz said that some might argue that it is unlikely.
“Even though it is not a perfect plan it is still something that will help millions of people. It’s just the initial process that is going to involve a lot of changes,” Osvaldo Romero, 28, journalism major, said. “It’s for the best and down the road I don’t think it will be as costly.”
Amendments dealing with student loans were also attached to the overall health care bill.
This results in the federal government lending directly to students, which will save students an estimated $60 billion, Munoz said.
“The bill would also invest about $2 billion to improve educational and career training programs in community colleges,” Munoz said. “Hopefully we’ll see some of that money for the benefit of the students in their quest to receive financial aid.”