Native American Club celebrates Powow

Dancing to the sound of traditional drums, Native Americans gathered at the Murdock Stadium this past weekend to celebrate the 12th annual Powwow sponsored by the Native American club.
Tribes from as far as Alaska came to celebrate their ancestry and display their native culture while celebrating the 133rd Powwow.
Booths were filled with native food, jewelry, and antiques that surrounded the grassy dance circle and provided space for onlookers to enjoy the Native American culture.
“We live traditional and modern everyday,” Randy Guzman-Folkes said.
Drummers from the Wild Horse Nation and Sooner Nation played the drums as M.C. Michael Reifel of the San Carlos Apache tribe announced the dance contests ranging from the happy dance to the grass dance and announced the winners of each category.
“I’ve been going to Powwows since I was two,” Kendra Lastiyano, age 10, said. “It’s always fun to compete in the dance contests.”
Dance contests varied by dance, age and gender and allowed all ages to participate ranging from three year olds to middle age.
Along with dance contests, homemade jewelry and artifacts were on sale and on display for public purchase.
“EC always strives for authentic artifacts at the Pow Wow, and we really appreciate it” Mac Lopez, of Shoshone and Cherokee ancestry, said.
Artifacts such as pottery, artwork and handcrafted sculptures and slingshots were popular items for many visitors at the event as well as the handmade jewelry.
“I loved all the different booths. There was so much to see and buy, I felt like I had to get one of everything” Courtney Wilson, 21, said.
The Native American Club sponsored the event by hosting a fry bread fundraiser on the Library Lawn, March 18 and March 24 and accepted donations for the Pow wow the following week.
Since the event fell on Easter, Lopez as well as others agreed that the turnout was not as crowded as many would have hoped for.
“You have to remember this is always the first weekend of April, and sometimes Easter falls on that weekend, like it did this year, but it is a well established Powwow,” Lopez said.
Even with a limited number of people in attendance, the feelings of friendship and tribal unity was stronger than ever Guzman-Folkes said.
“We’re one big family in one small circle.”