Law against texting and driving makes quick messages costly

As a woman is on her way to work she sends a quick text to her loved one saying where she is, when a police car sounds their siren and order her to pull over. Unaware of the new law that banned texting she is slapped with a startling fine.
The September 2008 crash of a Metrolink train, caused by the train conductor’s texting started the intense focus and call for change that has ended with laws being enacted to ban texting while operating a vehicle.
Violators of the no texting law face penalties of $142 when caught texting or calling, Chad Farley, Torrance police community affairs officer, said.
In January 2009, new laws were established to ban handing a phone while driving a motor vehicle.
The only way to use a phone while driving is buy using a wireless, hands-free device such as Bluetooth, Farley said.
“Putting the cell phone on speakerphone does not count as hands-free,” Farley said.
The hands-free device exception is only available to people 18 and older.
The law states that all drivers are prohibited from driving a motor vehicle while using a wireless phone, Farley said. This law also encompasses texting while driving.
“I agree with prohibiting texting while driving, but talking on the phone shouldn’t affect people too much,” Evyn Blair, 20, communications major, said.
“Distracted driving is the largest cause for motor vehicle accidents,” Farley said. “Distracted driving is similar in many ways to driving while intoxicated.”
Witnessing first-hand more than hundreds of motor vehicle accidents due to distracted driving, Farley said, the effect of accident on both parties involved is enough to make people think twice.
According to the cell phone law, the first violation will result in a $20 fine, increasing to $50 every time thereafter.
“It’s not usually just the $20 fine; they charge you with other fees too,” Blair said.
After the fees and administrative costs are included, the total for a fine can come to $142. Every city has a different way to enforce this law, Farley said.
During a special operation last month, Torrance police officers cited motorists using their cell phone driving down Hawthorne Boulevard between Carson and 230th streets.
This operation was 70 minutes long and 36 violators were fined.
“This law has made me more alert to my surroundings,” Brian Crist, 19, music major, said.
The only exception to this law is an emergency situation, Farley said. For example, to dial 9-1-1.
“It does upset people, but just like the seat belt law, it takes time to get used to,” Farley said. “In the end, it will save lives, and then it is well worth the inconvenience.”