Sierra club collaborates with students

Graphic design students showed off their hard work and creativity for an opportunity to work with the Sierra Club Zero Waste Committee.
The environmentally friendly organization has been around since 1892, but only recently has worked with EC students to come up with a new logo mark.
“I’ve always tried to find sponsorships that students that can get work experience from,” Andréa Micallef, art instructor, said.
“When I found such a great opportunity, I knew it would be great for students just to be apart of,” she added.
For the students to take on such an assignment, they had to research the topic, come up with thumbnail images of their logo design and rough drafts for the design.
“They put a lot of work into it,” Micallef said. “We had about 35 final designs that were presented to the committee and they narrowed it down to about three to still chose from,” Micallef said.
Eddie Muela, graphic design club creative director, said the process for the students went smoothly and that he is happy with the results.
“The presentation went well and it was a great experience for the students to work with the business,” Muela said
The results from the presentation are to be shown again within the next three weeks to provide the new logo mark for the Sierra Club.
“El Camino has a great graphic design program and with the Sierra Club to pick a mark that the students came up shows how great the quality of work students can do,” Micallef said.
This isn’t the first time the students have provided such work.
“A few years ago, we worked with United Artists and placed second and fourth from their organization,” Micallef said.