police Beat

Sept. 28, 9:04 a.m.
Officers saw a male sitting on a bench near the Manhattan Beach Building Modules smoking with what seemed to be a pipe. The student was asked if he had any drugs on him and he said yes.
He was taken to the campus police station, given a citation for possession and for his $5,000 vandalism warrant issued from the LAPD. He will also be seeing the dean for disciplinary action.

Sept. 28, 1:10 p.m.
A student detached a boot on his car and drove away. Officers contacted him while he was in class and found out he had an $800 outstanding ticket for grand theft. His car was towed, he has to pay a citation fee and criminal charges.

Sept. 28, 2:48 p.m.
Paramedics arrived when a male student in a PE class said he was dizzy. He went outside for fresh air, passed out and hit his head on the floor. His brother transported him to seek medical attention on his own.

Sept 29, 2:10 p.m.
There was a disturbance call outside the Humanities Building of several females about to get into an altercation. A witness overheard that one of them possessed brass knuckles. Police arrived and the crowd had moved in front of Subway.
All of them were students and the one with the brass knuckles also had a $180,000 burglary warrant. She was taken to the Torrance Police Department and all will see the dean.

Sept. 30, 11:50 a.m.
Victim of theft, a female student left her iPhone in the library for five minutes and returned to find it missing. Witnesses said they saw the man who took it and knew his name.
Officers contacted him in class and the subject claimed it was his cell phone. He was ordered to stay off campus until he spoke with the dean.

Oct. 1, 4:31 p.m.
A student went to the campus police station about a female subject on Crenshaw and Manhattan Beach boulevards. Officers checked the area and found nothing.
It turned out the student was on parol for committing burglary and had a no bail warrant. She was transported to the Torrance Police Department.

Oct. 2, 2:21 p.m.
After a driver made an illegal left onto Manhattan Beach Blvd., officers did a traffic stop. Walking up to the vehicle, they smelled a strong odor of marijuana. The driver was asked if he had any drugs on him and he said yes.
He was detained for having two bags of medical marijuana, paraphernalia and partial weed cigarettes. The subject was given a citation for having less than an ounce.