Anthropology students to present their unique ideas

Students of all fields and majors will come together on May 15 to present their research in a Student Research Symposium to take place in the Haag Recital Hall.

“The symposium gives students a chance to present their research in a very professional setting to their peers as well as faculty members,” Angela Mannen, anthropology professor, said.

This opportunity not only provides students with a chance to hone their research and presentation skills, but also gives them a competitive leg up when it comes time to apply to universities.

“They can put this on their student resume. To have something like this is great,” Mannen said.

Students also have the opportunity to win prize money, with amounts in the past ranging from $200 to the top presenter to $35 each for anyone who is chosen to present.

“This year we have raised the most money yet through Inter-Club Council,” Mannen said.

Papers and applications were due May 1 and will be reviewed before the finalists are chosen to present.

“Anthropology is the study of humans, so the topic one can choose to write about is almost limitless,” Mannen said.

This broad range of possible topics will no doubt lead to a very interesting symposium, she said.

“I wrote a paper for my art history class that if I added a little more to it, (this paper) could probably be used for next year’s symposium,” Katelynn Rogers, undeclared major, said.

Those interested can find out more from fliers posted around campus.

“The symposium will take place from 1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. It should be really great this year,” Mannen said.