Grads not just playing with fire

After an intense 10 weeks of work, the Fire Academy’s class 122, which consisted of 28 students, graduated at the EC Fire Academy Training Center on Friday.

According the Fire Academy’s Web site, full-time students like those in class 122 must take a 10-week course that meets from Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. with mountains of homework a day and four essays.

“This a probably a relief for them,” Chief Ken Mays said. “There’s three to four hours of homework every day, even on weekends.”

Students may not stay in the course if their scores in the classroom drop below 80 percent, or if their scores on the field drop below 100 percent.

“This probably means more to the students than anyone here,” Mays said. “It’s been a tough few weeks.”

Abraham Fregoso, student speaker at the ceremony, emphasized the cohesiveness of the group and the bond it formed throughout its training.

“We are no longer twenty-eight individuals,” he said in his speech. “We are one team.”

Another student speaker of class 122, Alex Romo, emphasized the brotherly relationship which he believed changed everyone in the class.

“Once the day is over, we will all move to bigger and better things,” he said. “It’s kind of sad to think someone might not keep in touch with their twenty-seven brothers or might not be able to turn to their twenty-seven brothers who changed our lives, but they are the twenty-seven brothers we will never forget.”

Mays, who works closely with all Fire Academy classes, expressed hope for the future as EC’s program is certified and looked highly upon in the community.

“Most academies will not even let you fill out an application if you do not come from a certified academy,” he said. “So I think they are prepared to get a job in this competitive field.”

Despite a focus on training, Mays also bonds with the graduating classes.

“I get attached to these guys,” he said. “I got to know them and I’m going to miss them. Just when I get to know one group of students, they’re gone and it’s time to meet the new group.”

Most of the students of class 122 expressed gratuity for having the opportunity to be a part of the academy.

“It means everything to me. A door is now open,” Juan Chaidez said. “Now that it’s over, I’m happy and sad. I’m happy because I will get to move on and get a job, but I’m sad because I won’t be able to see my brothers anymore.”

After graduating, many students come back to EC as instructors or mentors after obtaining high-ranking positions at a fire department.

“We have many people come back after this,” Mays said. “We have a lot of our best come back to be instructors after they have gone on.”

Not only does the Fire Academy focus on preparing the students for future, but it emphasizes a sense of community.

“The beauty of the Academy really is about giving back to the community,” Stephanie Rodriguez, dean of the Industry and Technology Division, said. “This is the start of hope for them and for their career. You can see it here (at the graduation) how they work together. We are really proud of them.”

After their experience with the Fire Academy, students hope to succeed.

“It’s really a brotherly relationship. We fought and argued sometimes, but at the end of the day, we came together,” Chaidez said. “Someday I hope to see all twenty-seven of my brothers out there in the field.”