Stop, look and listen: Pedestrian safety becomes growing concern for police

Two pedestrians crossing toward Alondra Park were struck and severely injured by a speeding vehicle on Manhattan Beach Boulevard on March 26, police reported.

Police reported that one vehicle stopped at the crosswalk to allow the two to cross, while another vehicle driving in the same direction refused to stop.

This led to campus police creating a test to see if drivers were obeying the driving laws when it came to pedestrians.

On March 31, one officer dressed as a student trying to use the crosswalk to get across Manhattan Beach Boulevard and Cerise Avenue.

If a driver did not stop, the driver was given a ticket.

“This had a greater significance because of the two people that were hit a week ago. Approximately twenty citations were issued to cars that didn’t stop,” Sgt. Dal Toruno said. “The other officers would stop the cars that wouldn’t stop for the pedestrian.”

The officer was walking back and forth in the crosswalk from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.

“I hope that all the time spent doing this will actually encourage drivers and pedestrians to be careful and to watch out for things that could happen around them,” Toruno said.

Students also believe that if this is a strong, continuous effort, police will succeed with increasing pedestrian safety,

“It’s a real concern and I worry some day someone might hit me because they don’t see me,” Kanae Yokoi, undecided major, said. “It’s kind of mean of the police to trick people, but it’s a good thing they are checking.”

Toruno said that all persons, regardless if they are crossing a street or walking on the sidewalk, should be aware of the cars traveling at 40 mph so close to them, because if a driver were a pedestrian, they would want those in their cars to stop for them.

Other students believe that a part of the blame should be placed on careless pedestrians.

“A car should not have to stop for every student who crosses the street,” Michael Ewert, undecided major, said. “The person crossing should also make it a point to cross when there are not too many cars instead of making in an inconvenience and crossing whenever they feel like it.”

It is suggested by campus police that people crossing the street should stand clear of any obstacles that may impair or distract the driver from seeing them.

According to EC’s pedestrian safety alert issued when the two pedestrians were struck on March 26, it’s best that when a vehicle is coming to the crosswalk, to make eye contact with the driver so that they know that the pedestrian wants to cross the street.

The alert also said that students should not be distracted while walking, which includes listening to music on headphones or talking on a cell phone.

Campus police, in agreement with California Highway Patrol, will be vigilant and give drivers who are speeding and committing crosswalk violations a citation.

“Everyone should be careful crossing on the crosswalk and driving because you could be dead in a second,” Toruno said.