Assault puts students on guard

Four unarmed male suspects allegedly assaulted a female student on March 5 in the Natural Sciences Building restroom, police reported.

The incident was not reported until March 20.

The first suspect is described as an African-American, about 20 years old with a muscular build, dark skin color and approximately 6 feet 3 inches.

The second was an African-American, also about 20 years old with dark skin with a thin build and is about 5 feet 10 inches.

The third suspect is also an African-American, also about 20 years old, approximately 5 feet 9inches and a muscular build.

The final suspect is African-American, approximately 20 years old and 5 feet 10 inches with light skin and a mole on his upper left cheek.

Another incident occurred in the Humanities Building at 11:45 a.m. on March 12 in which a subject grabbed a female student’s backpack and tried to restrain her.

This was not reported until several days later.

Regardless of the reason why these students waited so long to report what happened, campus police said students should be aware things like this can happen quickly.

There have been a few assaults over the recent years, police believe it will not be able to be stopped quick enough if more people do not report criminal activity immediately.

“When attacks like this happen, it is important to contact campus police as soon as possible because if you wait too long it becomes difficult to find out who did it and what information is needed,” Mike Trevis, Chief of Police, said.

The police are more than willing and more than ready to help any time on campus, he said.

If given a description or a name of any student who attacked or threatened to attack, an officer will do all they can to find the perpetrator.

“Be aware of your surroundings at all times, know what’s around you, and if you have any sense or feeling that something is not right, go to the campus police. There are blue emergency telephones throughout the campus and parking lot. Use them,” Trevis said.

Although EC is an open campus and anyone is able to walk through the school, there are still some things that students believe can be done to increase safety.

“Sometime in the late afternoon, I don’t like walking alone. Cameras should used in areas where there aren’t too many people and by the smaller buildings. In the more popular areas of school I think it’s OK. Something like this could even happen to me,” Mariam Jamal, business major, said.

Students, faculty and visitors should keep their eyes peeled for anything that seems unusual to themselves or the campus.

“The only way people can be protected is if the police are aware of what is going on,” Trevis said.

Officers are aware of a majority of atrocities but an extra set of eyes never hurt, he said.

“There should be more police especially at night or in places where cops know attacks have happened,” Heather Rush, nursing major, said.