Students able to interact with other countries

With new technology under its belt, EC is now offering a new class, Global Learning Through Technology, that will allow students to interact with other students and learn about their culture using revolutionary videophone technology.

Even though many new classes are introduced each semester, many of them do not last longer than their first year.

However, if the class is successful, it will be taught permanently.

“A few of my friends are taking the class and really like it, so I am going to try and enroll for the spring class if they have one,” Chuck Jackson, undeclared major, said.

GLTT is one of those special classes that students appear to love and may possibly be taught for many semesters to come.

Not only is GLTT a new course, but also marks the beginning of a developing academic program at EC that will draw in students interested in occupations involving global interaction.

Global Studies uses new technology to connect classrooms here at EC with classrooms from around the world using just the click of a button.

This class emerged from an initiative called the Global Education Through Technology Program that was funded by a federal grant and will be taught in colleges and universities across the country.

Understanding the complexities and interconnectedness of cultures and people around the world will be the main goal of the class.

“I want students to change the way they evaluate other cultures and how that translates into world health and economies,” Kel Stone, anthropology professor, said.

Most people do not have the capabilities to see how other cultures work because they have never been to any countries outside of North America.

“Many of us do not have the time or the means to travel all over the world, so my class will takes care of the travel and expense,” Stone said.

In class, the teacher will connect with a classroom on the other side of the globe at a set time and students will be able to interact with the other students through use of the Web cam, microphone, and speakers.

Students are given the opportunity to engage in debates, ask questions, and provide insight into how they view the world and learn how the rest of the world views Americans.

Students enrolled in the class will be expected to understand how this technology works, and will be able to use this new technology on a weekly basis.

This semester, Global Studies will connect with students from Peru, Ukraine, with Lebanon with Peru being the first.

“We had a Wseb connect with Lebanon this past Wednesday that was really great, but they could not see us on their end of the web feed this time,” Stone said.

Some students believe the impact that this technology will have on the world is unimaginable because people will no longer have to travel to meet with a client, but can interact with everyone on a televised video feed.

“I work in an attorneys office where the partners use this technology to meet with clients that come into the office. They meet from a television screen behind their desk when they are out of town,” Lisa Nichols, undeclared major, said.