Police Beat

August 28, 11:14 a.m.
A female student’s cell phone was stolen when a black male grabbed the phone off a lanyard around her neck.
She was walking west bound along the campus road, north of Lot B. The victim noticed a male black adult with a baseball cap and blue jeans walk next to her.

The perpetrator left west bound, the victim started to follow him, the perpetrator turned around and threatened to harm her if she did not stop following. The perpetrator was a black male of medium build, around 5’8” tall, within the age of 18 to 22, and was wearing a white t-shirt and a baseball cap. Officers searched EC village but did not find anyone that fit the description.

August 26, 8:30 a.m.
An officer made a traffic stop and discovered the driver had a $5,000 dollar arrest warrant. The officer issued the driver a citation.

August 26, 12:52 p.m.
Officers responded to the Lot A construction cite, where a new parking structure is being built, when a construction worker fell. The worker sustained minor injuries and was transported to the hospital.

August 26, 12:00 p.m.
Police responded to a fight on campus in which about 40 people witnessed the fight.

Two male Hispanics were questioned near the Physical Education complex shortly after the fight occurred. They had bruises and lacerations on their faces and were uncooperative with police. Both of them were transferred to the Health Center and released. No witnesses came forward to identify those involved in the fighting.

August 28, 12:51 p.m. A male student was selling stolen books back to the bookstore. He was behaving suspiciously when going in and out of the bookstore.

Officers searched and found stolen books and a small amount of marijuana on person. The student was arrested on 3 counts of burglary and possession of marijuana. He was then transferred to the Torrance police department

August 25, 10 p.m.
Near the intersection of Crenshaw and Manhattan Beach Blvd. police stopped a vehicle. The officer smelled the odor of marijuana in the vehicle and asked the driver if he had been smoking the drug.
The driver said he had smoked it earlier. Marijuana was found in the car, the driver was arrested for possession while driving, and the car was impounded.

September 6, 10:30 a.m.
Near the intersection of Crenshaw and Manhattan Blvd a vehicle was stopped by an officer who discovered the driver had a no bail warrant. The driver, a parolee at large, was arrested and transferred to the Inmate Reception Center in LA County.

September 6, 11:30 p.m.
The Hawthorne Police Department was holding a suspect with an arrest warrant from the EC Police Department. Her warrant was 250,00 for a prior drug arrest and she had another warrant for 26,000 at the Lennox Police Department.

September 5, 5p.m.
Two monitors were stolen from the Math and Computer Science Building. A custodian observed a black male around 25 years of age with short hair and a grey t-shirt carrying one of the monitors.
Another male stole the second monitor at 7 p.m. Police are following leads and the investigation is on going.

September 5, 11 a.m.
In the upper level of parking Lot F a car was found with the rear license plate missing.

September 4, 10 a.m.
A female subject was observed at a gas station on Crenshaw behaving suspiciously. She told police she had smoked crack. Police discovered she had a warrant for $75,000 out for her arrest.

September 4, 10 p.m.
A female subject was waiting for a ride home when she was threatened by a black male and asked to give over her textbooks.

The suspect threatened to beat her when another Hispanic male came to her defense and asked the suspect to calm down. The suspect attempted to steal her purse, but was unable to grab it and ran southbound toward the administration building.