Campus Viewpoints: Should We Eat Cloned Meat

Andrea Mena
2/27/2008
Campus Viewpoints: Should we eat cloned meat?
Name: Keith Flowers
Age: 20
Major: Communications
No, we definitely should not be eating cloned meat. However, the powers that be may already be slipping cloned meat into the stores and we just may not be able to tell the difference. I’m looking into becoming a vegan anyway so this will only make it much easier.
Name: Marc Brown
Age: 20
Major: Political Science
No, because once you start playing god and tampering with the meat supply, we’re bound to have repercussions and results that were not expected. Our meat source has already been tainted and cloning will only make it worse.
Name: Isaac Oguh
Age: 21
Major: Kinesiology
No, we should stick to eating natural meat. Natural meat is healthy because it comes from one of god’s creatures. Cloned meat is something man-made and we have no way of knowing the safety of the product.
Name: Jenae Vega
Age: 37
Major: Math Teacher
No, because I don’t really stand behind the act of cloning. It’s just taking it too far. Life has a beginning and an end so there are certain things you must let go. I can’t imagine what the nutrition value of the meat would be. The product lacks authenticity and it is man made. No human is perfect.
Name: Brittany Cohens
Age: 20
Major: Nursing
No, because we’re not sure what will be put into the meat. It is not natural and it is not safe. You don’t know what the procedures are so they may be using chemicals to invent an artificial product.
Name: Conor Morgan
Age: 20
Major: Communications
Yes, because if the meat has been deemed to be safe then we should proceed with consuming it. Regulations are strict and there are health guidelines in place. Everything is constantly supervised so there should be no problem.
Name: Bell Jamsran
Age: 18
Major: Biology
Yes, because before selling cloned meat all kinds of tests are conducted. I believe in the government’s ability to regulate this properly.
Name: Brittney Savage
Age: 19
Major: Undecided
No, because at the time we don’t have enough information. The concept is so new that long term studies have not been conducted. It costs about $120,000 to genetically clone a cow. Usually when animals are cloned there is some birth defect so not only is it inhuman for the animal but it puts the public at risk.
Name: Carolina Pinto
Age: 22
Major: Liberal Studies
No, because something could go wrong during the cloning process and the final product could end up in stores. If cloning humans didn’t work it will likely be the same with animals.
Name: Sean Lyons
Age: 20
Major: Fire Technology
No, because the thought of it is disgusting. It may be concluded that the meat is safe but I feel it’s nasty. The meat is not coming from a naturally born cow or animal.