Award-winning news anchor provides career advice

Getting on TV is easier than it seems.

CBS news anchor Kent Shocknek provided advice to students before spring break on how to score an interview and to land the perfect job.

“What ever you want to do, it starts with getting that interview for the job,” Shocknek said. “It’s not that hard. The fun thing is that once you take those starting steps, you can get whatever job you want.”

The five-time Emmy Award winner spoke at EC as part of a of a series of motivational workshops aimed toward preparing students for the Career Expo that took place last week.

Shocknek said one should dial 411 or use the Internet to find the phone number of the company the prospective employee is interested in.

“You get an interview by calling someplace and saying I want to come in and talk with you; I would like to find out about positions, it’s as simple as that. You’ve got to take the first step,” Shocknek said.

Shocknek said prospective employees to ask what it takes to get the job and find out if they can come in to interview.

“Say to the person, ‘Gee, you’re so helpful, I’d like you to be my mentor.’ Flatter them by calling them your mentor,” Shocknek said.

At the interview, Shocknek suggested asking questions, even if one may think they are foolish.

“There are no stupid questions. If they laugh at you, look at them and ask ‘Why are you laughing?’ I would rather be ‘stupid’ than shy,” Shocknek said.

Shocknek suggests showing up to an interview 10 minutes early to ensure that tardiness does not occur.

“Find out where you are going to have the interview and scope out the parking the day before; know where you are going,” Shocknek said. “Try not to cancel: Make the commitment.”

A tip that helps Shocknek is writing the acronym “TADB” on his notes. It stands for “take a deep breath,” which calms him before speaking.

“You might want to think about doing some interviews at a similar industry, but not the place that you like because you may want to do some practicing,” Shocknek said. “Set up some interviews. It isn’t long before interviews become second nature.”

Shocknek said moving around is not always a bad thing. He suggests going where the jobs are. He started in Iowa because that was the first job he could get as a reporter.

“You should always dress for success. Wear a suit and a tie; or for the women, a suit or a skirt. Dress professionally and conservative and don’t wear too much bling,” Shocknek said.

Shocknek said students should not be afraid of talking about what they have accomplished.

“Be confident. This is not the time to be shy; rise above the others,” Shocknek said.

At the end of the discussion, Shocknek had one more final piece of advice to make for a great interview.

“When you’re done, stick out your hand; look them in the eye and say, ‘This was a real pleasure; thank you so much. I really hope I can have this job,'” Shocknek said.

Greg Brannon, 19, theater major, enjoyed Shocknek’s speech.

“Shocknek was really interesting,” Brannon said. “He gave some good advice that can help students get jobs.”

Shocknek’s Tips for Success

Get an interview as soon as possible.

Use 411 or the Internet to find phone numbers.

Plan ahead: Give yourself time to find where the interviews are scheduled and to find parking.

Make the commitment: Don’t cancel on em ployers.

Move around: Some opportunities may require you to leave home, but do take advantage of them.

Dress for success: Dress professionally, conservatively and avoid over-accessorizing.

Ask questions: Get the information you need, even if the questions seem foolish.

Be confident: Don’t be afraid to mention your accomplishments.