Forum to inform women, offer free pedicures, free massages

In light of Women’s History Month and in an effort to educate women, “Beauty In Beauty Out,” a womens’ health forum will take place on March 31 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Activities Center.

The purpose of the event is to inform, to educate and to explain issues that facing women.

“If we don’t talk about these issues than were are these women getting their information from? Who knows what people are telling them?” Ruth Banda-Ralph, director of first year experience learning communities and event organizer, said.

They also want to make it fun and enjoyable for the people coming so they have organized free manicures and massages.

“It’s important that we also get time to feel good about ourselves,” Banda-Ralph said.

According to The Alan Guttmacher Institute, more than 3 million young adults acquire sexually transmitted diseases.

Women are at high risk of being hospitalized for it and more than 9.3 million of 20-year-old women have diabetes.

“We need to do more for these women, its important for me to know that these students know what is really happening around them and how easy it is to be affected by STD’s or any other diseases,” Banda-Ralph said.

“Woman are not being informed enough about what they are at risk of. They don’t think that is going to affect them in their life,” Martha McClendon, financial adviser, said.

Many college women are at high risk of losing their financial aid and being on academic probation due to health issues, McClendon said.

“Not only are students facing financial aid problems, but health issues. They are facing money and school issues and some just drop out,” Banda-Ralph said.

This forum is also to help students stay focused on school, because school is extremely important and is what is going to help them in their future, Banda-Ralph said.

“Education is extremely important on this campus. There are many instructors who care a lot about their students and want to make sure that they are able to get through college and make something of there lives,” Banda-Ralph said.

With the recent loss of vice president Nadine Hata, the event coordinators also intend to raise cancer awareness.

“Having lost Nadine Hata to cancer has also impacted us extremely,” Banda-Ralph said. “We are the survivors, if there are things that we can do to prevent these things than we need to speak out.”

Banda-Ralph said she hopes many students will attend the event.

“If I had the chance to go back to when I was younger and really know about these health issues that now face me, my life would have been a lot less stressful,” McClendon said.