College loses distinguished dean, vice president

Spending a vacation at the Library of Congress doing research was not out of the question for EC vice president Dr. Nadine Hata.

Hata passed away Friday and is survived by her husband of 39 years.

“We librarians had a special relationship with her” Schauerman librarian Vince Robles said. “She was truly a scholar.”

After receiving her bachelor’s degree from the University of Hawaii, she went onto the University of Southern California to pursue her passion and to get a master’s degree in history.

“Her absolute passion was education. She loved history and also enjoyed teaching,” EC president Dr. Thomas Fallo said.

While teaching at EC and obtaining her doctorate in history at USC, Hata was appointed dean of the Behavioral and Social Sciences Division.

Later, she was appointed vice president of Academic Affairs where she became a positive influence to many of her colleagues.

“As vice president of academic affairs, she was a strong supporter of the learning resource center,” acting director of the learning resource unit Alice Grigsby said. “She was always enthusiastic about El Camino and was a distinguished administrator.”

According to the Daily Breeze Hata was named Fellow of the Historical Society of Southern California; she was also given the Award of Merit from the California Historical Society.

“She gave great examples to our faculty members, there was more than just teaching classes, she went beyond only reading the textbook,” Fallo said.

Striving to increase in knowledge, Hata never stopped working in the field of history and research.

“She actually spent one of her vacations in the Library of Congress doing research. That gives a clear indication of what her interests really were.” Fallo said.

Hata said history books had to be re-written, in that “history books excluded and not included.” “That was her role, it was to lead the faculty in academic matters and I think she did an extraordinary job”, Fallo said. “She was a wonderful person and will be missed by all.”