$10 ASB sticker helps fund student activities

Students may save more than 50 percent on amusement park tickets and help out EC at the same time, by purchasing a $10 Auxiliary Services, ASB, sticker.

“We need desperately for students to purchase ASB stickers at the rate of eighty to one hundred percent; we would be able to continue our support at current levels for years to come,” Harold Tyler, director of student development, said.

“At the current rate, our reserves will be gone in about two years and the college will be forced to cut back on some or all of our programs,” Tyler said.

“We have excellent programs: forensics, student newspaper, student government, sports and fine arts presentations such as theater, dance, art,” he said.

Students receive many benefits by purchasing an ASB card, including free admission to all EC athletic events, discounts at computer stores and clothing stores.

“The Auxiliary Services fund is the primary support for the co-curricular and extra curricular programs and activities that enhance the educational experience of the students of El Camino College,” Tyler said.

“The board dispenses the money to the newspaper, to the student body and for sports. The football helmets, the referees that we have to pay, the chalk on the ground, the basketball they handle, the water caps that they wear; also the fine arts, the acting the singing: That’s what the money we ask for goes to,” Lawrence Moreno, power professional program assistant and ASB marketing officer, said.

There is quite a lack of knowledge about the ASB sticker and what it does.

“A lot of people think associated student body, when really it stands for the Auxiliary Services Benefits. Many people get it confused with the Associated Students Organization, also known as ASO. We need students to know what ASB is and what it can do for them and for the college,” Moreno said.

Students may purchase an ASB sticker at the Cashier’s Office located in the Administration Building.

Students will receive their sticker as well as a small blue book provided by the auxiliary services showing them what they can get discounts on.

“Students need to understand that it’s not giving away ten bucks for nothing, it goes back to the college,” Philip Gomez, ASO president, said.