ASO’s special election to fill 9 positions

There are currently nine positions open for student government, whose occupants will be decided in a special election that will take place from Sept. 28-30 on the front lawn of the Schauerman Library.

“The special election is great because it gives new students the opportunity to jump right in at the beginning of the year,” Susan Stark, director of academic affairs, said.

The Associated Student Organization (ASO) is a student-run organization that helps students as well as the community, Philip Gomez, ASO president, said.

“The Associated Student Organization’s main purpose is to represent the students; we work hard for the students and our community, we work with the administration and our commitment is to improve campus’ services,” Gomez said.

“Our constitution requires our student leaders to maintain a minimum of six units at El Camino College, have and maintain throughout their term of office a 2.0 on a 4.0 scale grade point average, and a current Associated Student Body sticker,” Gomez said.

Petitions are currently available for interested candidates.The applications are due tonight by 8 p.m. Students should deliver them to the Student Development Office.

“The Election Committee will verify eligibility and will post a list of all qualified candidates in the Student Development Office on Tuesday, where all the candidates will meet to discuss the process of the elections and answer any questions the candidates’ might have,” Gomez said.

“Campaigning begins following the candidates meeting. Tuesday, September 28 is when the candidates rally,” Gomez said.

For students who are interested in running, there are six senator positions currently available for those majoring in the fields of mathematical sciences, natural sciences, industry and technology and business.

There are also two executive cabinet positions available. These are as director of student and community advancenment as well as a Region 7 representative available.

Once the nominees have been chosen and the positions have been filled, the ASO will resume with its projects to improve EC.

“ASO is a great organization to get involved in,” Gomez said.

“We work hard and have fun doing it. This year we have many projects in mind, but like Bryce Matson (student trustee) says ‘strength in numbers,'” he said.

More students are learning about the ASO and are interested in becoming involved; students feel that they can leave their mark and know that they helped influence a better college experience for other students as well as themselves, she said.

“We want to people to know that they do have a voice on campus, and that we are representing them,” Stark said.