Dance department presents its annual “Fall Dance Concert”

The work of advanced choreography-students and faculty members will be featured in El Camino’s annual fall advance dance concert Nov. 19-22, according to the concert’s various directors.

Approximately 60 dance students will participate in “Dancing Between the Lines,” and John Pennington, artistic director of Pennington Dance Group, will be the guest artist, co-director Jennifer La Curan said.

According to co-director Liz Hoefner Adamis, the choreography for “Dancing Between the Lines” is based on literature, poetry or spoken word.

There will also be six EC student works chosen from the choreography classes in this concert, said Adamis

“Students were asked to utilize an aspect of literature and then project that onto their choreography,” La Curan said.

EC hosts two dance concerts every year, one during the fall semester and one during the spring.

The “Fall Dance Concert,” however, happens in a more formal setting with more costumes, lighting and technical support, co-director Daniel Berney said.

The pieces in the show will highlight the work of the choreography students, faculty and Pennington.

“The audience can expect to see the passion of the dancers and the choreographers,” Berney added. “They will see a reflection of the art form and the labor of love.”

The concert aims to bring a diverse style of dance genres in music.

La Curan said that several genres of dance will be featured, including ballet, modern dance, contemporary dance, jazz and hip-hop.

“There will be something to enjoy for everybody,” Berney said.

EC’s “Fall Dance Concert” will premiere at the Campus Theatre Nov. 19 at 1 p.m. and will continue to play until Nov. 22. Tickets are $10 and are available online and at the Ticket Office.

Update: Nov. 19, 2015 – Article edited for clarity.