Communication studies professor to host discussion ‘African American Images in the Media’

One of El Camino’s communication studies professor will be hosting a discussion on the portrayal of African Americans in the media Thursday in the Marsee Auditorium.

Larry Leach, communication studies professor, will be the sole host of this discussion, titled “African American Images in the Media.”

“I’ll be looking at some of the portrayals of African Americans that exist in the media,” Leach said.

Leach will also be looking at some of the effects these portrayals have on society, including Africans Americans and non-African Americans. “These images affect everybody who sees them,” he said.

Leach added that he’ll examine some of the causes that lead to what portrayals are found in media as well as resolutions that can result in a balance.

The various forms of media he’ll discuss in the event include music, television, film and news.

Samples, statistics and video clips that coincide with the different messages he’s sharing will be provided throughout his hour-long discussion, Leach said.

“African American Images in the Media” will take place Thursday at 7 p.m. in the Marsee Auditorium. Tickets are $15 and are available at the Ticket Office, online and by calling (310) 329-5345.