America is moving forward: We are ready for a change

Who would have ever thought that we would live to see the day where America would have a woman as the president or a black man as the president?

It doesn’t seem too long ago that these two groups of people were fighting for the simple right to cast a ballot.

Women such as Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Stanton, who fought for women’s suffrage, paved the way for Hillary Clinton.

Black people who were on the front lines of the Civil Rights battle paved the way for Barack Obama.

Although the two may be bitter rivals on the political platform, Clinton and Obama are products of the same determination and grit to defeat oppression in a society that was created to give everyone the right to live as free human beings.

Regardless of who takes office next January, both Clinton and Obama have succeeded in overcoming the puny minds of people who still believe that neither a woman nor a black person has the ability to lead the greatest nation in the world.

Given the condition that the current president has left this country in, it is time for a change, whether people want to admit it or not.

It’s obvious that the traditional politics of this country are eroding.

It is time for a fresh face to bring in new ideas to help America regain its moniker as the beacon for hope.

In the early ’60s, John F. Kennedy asked the citizens of this country what they could do to help it become the America that his generation envisioned.

Nearly a half century later, that vision is on the verge of being a reality.

Either Clinton or Obama is just the person to lead the country, because each person embodies what the true American spirit is about.

They were once people in pursuit of a dream that seemed impossible to realize not more than 40 years ago, and now they are on the cusp of making history.

Even though it took many years and constant rejection to reach this point, let’s start enjoying the true intent of why this country was created in the first place.

Clinton and Obama are products of past struggles, and now they are vying to lead the greatest country into the future.

Democracy is worth fighting for.