Find parking, not parking tickets

Cars flocking in numbers and tires screeching against the concrete may not be the first things you would want to witness early in the morning just as the sign of dawn creeps over the sky.

But students are trying to get to EC earlier to get ahead when it comes to parking, since parking space has been limited than ever, due to the number of more students attending El Camino.

At an hour when most students are still snoozing at home, there are already quite a few who are neatly swerving their cars into the parking spots of their choice on campus.

These people might sound like your average overachievers; however, it becomes more complicated when some students go to school two or three hours earlier before their first class just to find a decent parking space.

How students cope

Consider the case of freshman Jocelyne Garcia, who comes to EC two hours before her first class to avoid the morning rush and to beat the rapid swarming of cars and trucks alike into the parking lots.

“There’s not enough parking; people have to wake up early in the morning just to find decent parking. Students should go to school early to find good parking,” Garcia said.

Students find that the problem is not only in the limited space, but also in the lengthy distance of the parking lots to their classes.

Racquel Simbajon, nursing major, said, “The parking lots are far. You have to walk all the way to your classes and sometimes you are late to class.”

The search continues

Finding parking space amid thousands of cars coming daily to El Camino can be tough.

“The parking situation is the same as last year’s; it’s still crowded and it’s not improving. The college should build new parking lots to accommodate people,” Simbajon said.

Students, especially the new students should research information and the specific rules of the college when it comes to parking in order to ease the stress.

Here are some tips to help ease students’ parking hunting anxiety and to avoid getting a ticket.

Check out the schedule of classes. If you’re planning on going to class early it would help to check out where to park as well. The image above shows a visual map of the campus, and the lots where students may park are designated with a light gray shade.

Semester parking permits for students are $35 and are available from the Cashier’s Office located in the Administration Building. Students and visitors may also purchase daily parking permits for $2 per day from the parking permit machines located in the parking lots.

Be sure to buy a parking permit. Many students may try to skip this option to save money, but shelling out $35 for a parking permit that lets you park on campus instead of $30 for a parking ticket is a much better idea. Plus, students trying to save a buck or two can cause a lot of traffic.

Staff and student parking permits are displayed by hanging them in front of the rear view mirror and may be transferred from one car to another.

Decal permits that may be affixed to the inside window are available from the police department for individuals who drive vehicles that are difficult to secure.

The irony of this situation is that students trying to avoid buying a $35 parking permit, might get a parking ticket that’s a lot more expensive when they park in an off-limits neighborhood or in the wrong lot. Be careful and pay attention.

Always be sure the permit can be seen from outside, hanging on your rear view mirror each time you park.

It seems like students would rather get a series of parking tickets than to just shell out $35 up front for a harmless parking permit that will save time and money.

Follow the rules. Like any good parking advice, it wouldn’t hurt to take a second and glance at the signs posted in every parking spot.

If there’s a one-hour parking rule, stay within the time limit to avoid getting a ticket.

Citations issued by the police department and all fines are payable to the El Camino Community College District. Parking fines are a minimum of $30.

Daily parking permits are to be displayed on the dashboard, facing the front windshield.

“Avoid parking in the staff lots. Also, you’re not allowed to park in the neighborhood because they have preferential parking for residents and if you’re not a resident, they will tow your car, especially on the north side of the campus,” Michael D’Amico, EC chief of police, said.

Other lots let you park after 6 p.m. which is a good thing for night students since they can park their car closer to their classes rather than having to trek all the way to a dark, empty lot on the other side of the campus.

Students and visitors may park in the staff parking lots with a valid El Camino College student parking permit/daily permit on weekends, holidays and special events.

Parking solutions

No vehicle should be parked in any areas longer than the posted time limit in any of the visitor parking areas.

Check the signs posted in the visitor parking area for time limits. The EC police are constantly patroling and will ticket all vehicles parked in the lots past the posted limits.

“We understand the students’ concerns and we’re trying to do as much as we could to help, and it will get better after the first three weeks,” D’Amico said.

If you have any questions or want more information you may call EC Parking Services at (310) 660-3100.

Parking 411

Avoid parking in the wrong lot. Always look for lots where your permit is valid and check the posted signs.

Be careful which neighborhoods that you park in. If you find yourself having to park in the neighborhoods, learn to follow the street warnings/signs to avoid getting a ticket.

Don’t use an expired parking permit. Be sure to buy a new one or purchase a daily one from machine.

Lots F, H and L are designated student parking lots.
Lot C and K are staff parking from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. but after 6 p.m. it is open for students to use.

By simply following these tips, you will find that it is possible to reduce some of the stress brought about by the severe parking situation on campus.

If you are a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, you can park in its parking lot on Crenshaw Boulevard.