Baseball team dealt blow against Cerritos

The Falcons’ designated hitter Jesse Perdomo ripped a ball to right-center field.

Third baseman Victor Guadalupe and center-fielder Mark Pena then rounded the bases and gave Cerritos an early 2-0 lead over the Warriors.

The baseball team hosted the Cerritos College Falcons on Thursday in the second of a three-game series, and were defeated 10-2.

The Warriors had a really tough time kick-starting their offense against the Falcons. EC earned their first hit until the bottom of the sixth inning by designated hitter Zach Decuitus.

Falcons pitcher Kyle Carpenter did not let up against the Warriors in the eight innings he pitched. He conceded one hit and threw seven strikeouts.

Coach Nate Fernley said that Falcons’ pitcher Carpenter “stood out on the mound” against his team.

The Warriors conceded another run in the first and three more runs in the top of the fifth inning that gave the Falcons a 6-0 lead.

EC continued it with two runs in the top of the sixth inning, one run in the top of the seventh, and one run in the top of the ninth inning that gave the Falcons a late 10-0 lead.

Fernley really felt that the Falcons were on his team from the beginning.

“They really killed us from the first inning,” Fernley explained. “They really just buried us from the beginning.”

After going three more innings without earning any hits, the Warriors finally tried getting their offense in gear in the bottom of the ninth inning. EC finally got runners on base and put hits on board, but it was not enough.

EC had bases loaded and were able to break the Falcons’ hope of a shutout in response to Tuesday’s shutout in the ninth inning.

Freshman first baseman Jake Sahagian hit a ball down the left field line that brought sophomore pinch hitters Anthony Collins and Keyon Allen in for the score, Hopes of a late EC comeback diminished at 10-2.

But the Warriors were not able to keep the capitalization going, and the Falcons were able to shut down their hope.

Designated hitter Zach Decuitus said his team just had a bad day against the Falcons.

“We had a day of not pitching well and not hitting well,” Decuitus said. “That’s just a bad combo to have.”

Pinch hitter Keyon Allen also said that his team just really had an off day.

“We just were not the same team today that we have been lately,” Allen said.

Designated hitter Zach Decuitus said that in order to get ready for the final game against the Falcons, they just need to mentally prepare.

“We need to get our minds right,” Fernley said. “Baseball is really a mental thing.”

The Warriors seven-game-win streak was snapped, their record dropped to 21-11 and their conference record dropped to 9-8. They will travel to Cerritos for the final game in the series on Saturday April 18.

Even with this tough loss, Fernley is still very confident in his team.

“This is a game to forget about,” Fernley laughed. “We need to win our game on Saturday, and I like our chances.”