Creative arts journal editors host annual open mic

Myriad editors observe as their fellow creative minds read their favorite poems and shirt stories to students on Wednesday, March 2 on the Student Activities Center’s stage. Photo credit: Sebastian Spencer

El Camino’s creative arts journal is a space for writing, a place for writers to express themselves and also get their work published.

The Myriad’s Open Mic reading took place on the Student Activities Center stage across from Schauerman Library on Wednesday.

The first open mic reading went exactly how club adviser, Peter Marcoux said he wanted it to go.

Poems, shorts stories, screenplays and art are just a few things that can be submitted to the Myriad, for its publication every spring. The open mic event consisted of poems read by various members of the club, and a few people walked by and decided to get involved.

Collin Hyde, one of the Myriad editors who preformed two of his poems, says the club has helped him a great deal.

“It’s my first being able to write and edit stories and poems,” Hyde said. “As editors we fine tune the material and try not to change the writer’s work.”

Intrigued and inspired by the poems being read and projected through a loud microphone across the campus, two students (non-members) got on stage and performed poems of their own as well.

Club adviser, Pete Marcoux, enjoyed the fact that students walking by were drawn in to the poetry.

“I thought for this to be our first open mic reading, it was successful,” Marcoux said. We got people to come up and join and that’s always good.”

Shelbylyn Allen, an editor and member of the ECC Myriad club, performed two poems and expressed how the club has helped her in looking to the future.

“I have been writing since middle school, I want to do editing and writing full-time as a career,” Allen said. “This a really good start for me.”

As the Myriad editors continued their readings, more people stopped walking to listen while other members passed out flyers with information about joining.

With the success of the first open mic reading, Marcoux and the Myriad editors will be having a release party and reading on May 5, for more info on the club follow its Twitter: @ECCMyriad.

EDITOR’S UPDATE MARCH 9, 2016: Myriad editor’s name spelling corrected to Shelbylyn Allen.