Softball team upsets No. 4 ranked Palomar College

Tempers began to flare for the visiting team in the sixth inning after an aggressive steal at second base by right fielder Kattya Calderon resulted in her being shoved; ultimately, the visitors received an unsportsmanlike penalty.

But an early 1-0 lead from an RBI-double to deep left field from freshman first baseman Kammy Fisher turned out to be all the home team needed; and backed up by immaculate defensive execution and strong pitching, the Warriors were granted an upset over a higher-ranked opponent.

The unranked El Camino softball team (16-9) survived 1-0 shutout victory against the No. 4 ranked team in the state, the Palomar College Comets (18-2), on Saturday.

“It feels so good to get this win,” Warriors coach Jessica Rapoza said. “My athletes came out and competed today. They played hard and had good focus and energy throughout the whole game.”

This hard-fought victory makes it three-in-a-row for the Warriors, while simultaneously ending an 18-game win streak held by the Comets.

Freshman pitcher Natalie Francis had another impressive outing, tossing her second complete shutout for the Warriors, only giving up two hits with one strikeout and no walks.

“I felt pretty good out there today,” Francis said. “I was throwing hard and putting strikes down the plate.”

Palomar College struggled throughout the length of the game, producing its fewest hits all season, with two in 22 at-bats. The Warriors finished with eight hits in 26 at-bats.

Fisher, Calderon, catcher Brigid Antonelii and shortstop Vanessa Gutierrez all finished with one hit in three plate appearances for the Warriors.

Freshmen center fielder Raelani Camez and third baseman Maleigha Quintero also added two hits in three at-bats for the home team.

“The team was really strong out there today,” Fisher said. “We all held it together, on defense mainly, (and) we tend to play well against higher ranked teams, so getting this win feels awesome.”

El Camino will play its next game on the road at Long Beach City College (12-12) on Tuesday, March 22 at 3 p.m.