Warriors fall to 1-2 in South Coast Conference

Heated words were exchanged by both teams in the second half when anger and frustration exploded after a tightly contested first half.

Home fans were in dismay and agitated by questionable calls from the men’s basketball game officials.

“I didn’t like the officiating at all today, but you can’t blame the officials for the loss,” freshman guard Isiah Armstead said.

It was a tale of two halves as the Warriors’ defense was no were to be found in the second half and lost 83-62 to the visiting Long Beach City College.

“We need to get back in transition and keep them out of the paint,” head coach Uphoff said.e

That was coach Uphoff’s game plan going into the game and was willing to let the Vikings shoot the ball.

“We wanted them to beat us from the 3-point-line,” coach Uphoff said. “But those seven 3-pointers in the first half really hurt us.”

During the second half there were a lot of questionable calls that made both home and away crowds feel uneasy.

Both teams were in the bonus early in the second half combining for 56 personal fouls.

“We need to maximize second chance opportunities and convert down the floor,” freshman forward Da’Koda Lacey said.

El Camino was out rebounded by the Vikings 42-31 which made it difficult for the Warriors to mount a comeback late in the game.

The Warriors throughout the season have been very streaky with their free throw shooting and it was no different against the Vikings, only shooting 58 percent (18-31) from the field compared to Long Beach’s 71 percent (27-38).

Armstead led the team in scoring with 15 points, while adding four rebounds, and two assists.

The two second leading scorers were Lacey and sophomore guard Dreymon Jones with 13 points and six rebounds each.

“I felt like my performance today was alright but I missed a couple key layups and shots, but I just come in here everyday and get better,” Armstead said.

The Warriors’ overall record now stands at 4-16 and 1-2 in the South

Coast Conference.

El Camino travels to Cerritos College on Friday in hopes to break even in conference play. Tip-off is at 7 p.m.

“We feel like they are going to take us for granted on Friday,” Lacey said. “But we (have) to make them panic and make it a game.”