Setter leads volleyball team

Setting the volleyball to her teammates on a nightly basis, 5-feet 4-inch sophomore setter, Sarah McFadden, stands out as both a team player and leader in the South Coast Conference (SCC).

“Sarah McFadden is critical,” Le Valley Pattison, women’s volleyball coach, said. “Obviously you need a good setter and she might not be the biggest out there, but she jumps well. She is starting to realize how much she can help everybody on the court.”

Currently holding many records in the SCC, McFadden is in first place in assists averaging 9.69 assists per game. She ranks sixth in assists in the state and is also in sixth place for total assists by a setter at EC. She was recently inducted into the Lakewood Youth Hall of Fame.

McFadden is considered to be one of the best athletes on the volleyball team, Pattison said.

“She is very strong and can jump really high,” Katie Child, freshman outside hitter, said. “She blocks really well for her size.”

McFadden is also very well-respected by her teammates.

“She is really calm and collective and it makes you calm and collective,” Child, outside hitter, said.

“Sarah is a great leader on and off the court,” Lauren Edwards, middle blocker, said. “We can always count on her to give us a great set and she works hard every day at practice on and off the court. She is a great teammate.”

Before game time, McFadden said she likes to take a nap at her teammate, Teulia Barnes’ house and then have a team lunch, which create a bonding experience.

“There’s no music involved,” McFadden said. “I just enjoy getting lunch with the team and making jokes and laughing.”

Currently there are no prospective universities recruiting McFadden, but she is aspiring to  become a flight attendant and travel the world.

“If something were to happen to Sarah, we wouldn’t be the same team,” Kaitlyn Edwards, outside hitter, said.