Women’s basketball team starts season undefeated at 3-0

Last Thursday, the women’s basketball team had a promising season opener against West Los Angeles College.

The Warriors continued their fast start with an additional two back-to-back games when they defeated Palomar College and Orange Coast College.

“Our plan this season is to win conference,” Steve Shaw, head coach said. “Secondly, we want to try and become the best basketball team we can become.”

On Thursday, the women played their first preseason game against West L.A. College and won, 80-71.

The top players of the game were Ryann Drear, forward and forward Kristen Dresser. Dear scored 21 points and grabbed seven rebounds and Dresser scored 18 points and grabbed seven rebounds as well, including 4 in a row in the final 1:22 helping the women maintain their lead.

On Friday, the women’s basketball team went to Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa to play in the OCC Crossover tournament.

They went up against Palomar first, and won, 43-41.

The top players of the game were Drear along with Lindsey Wong, guard. Drear was the top scorer with 13 points and she also grabbed 10 rebounds and Wong scored a basket with only 1:35 left on the clock putting the EC women’s basketball team ahead for good.

On Saturday, the women played Orange Coast College, and finished the weekend off with a win, 57-44.

Leaders for the women’s team were forward Christianna Willis and guard Amanda Young.

Willis scored 20 points, had nine blocked shots, and six rebounds. Young had eight rebounds, three assists, and two steals.

Shaw said that at the game against Orange Coast, the women had great team defense holding Orange Coast College to 12 percent shooting.

The women’s next game will be tomorrow when they travel to Allan Hancock College at 7 p.m.

“The challenge is the process within your own team to take them as close to their potential as possible,” Shaw said.