Football team rallies to beat Golden West 24-21

With slightly more than five minutes left, the Warriors were down by four points to Golden West College.

Omar Herrera, quarterback, hikes the ball and looks for a receiver down the field.

He found a receiver and threw a bullet to Kenneth Holmes, resulting in a touchdown.

The Warriors recovered the lead and EC won, 24-21

As the Warriors look to stay undefeated with three straight victories, they will host Los Angeles Harbor College at 6 p.m. on Saturday.

“It was a hard-fought game between the two good teams, but we won,” John Featherstone, coach, said. “We proved to be the better team.”

With EC down 21-10 in the third quarter, Holmes proved to be the difference as he returned a kickoff for 87 yards to score a touchdown.

“Herrera made some great throws to me, but the defense really won the game and not me,” Holmes said.

However, Holmes injured his knee during the game-winning play that will result in him being out for the rest of the season.

Holmes’ 105 yards receiving and  two touchdowns were the bright spot for the Warriors as he provided the needed spark to help the team rally and win the game.

His 25-yard touchdown catch gave the Warriors the lead and eventually the game-winning score to leave the Warriors record unblemished.

The game was a back-and-forth battle until the very end.

The Warriors rushing attack that has helped the team win its first three games, was almost nonexistent totalling only 50 yards.

The Warriors’ first drive of the second quarter was halted when Herrera threw an interception. On the ensuing drive, the defense stopped Golden West only to have Herrera throw another interception that resulted in a touchdown and had the team down, 14-3.

The offense was also stopped by two fumbles, but was lucky enough to have both fumbles recovered by EC .

The offense made up for it on its next drive, capping a 10 play, 70-yard drive with a 10-yard touchdown pass to Jarrad Shaw.

Herrera passed for 220 yards and also threw two touchdowns for the game.

“It was a good team win and good individual effort by Holmes,” Cody Thornton, player said.

Ivan McLennan led the defense with two sacks and 10 tackles for the game. McLennan was followed by Derek Largent, who registered eight tackles.

Taumoelau Kavienga was also one of the top performers on defense with seven tackles

The team will now work on its mistakes and prepare for the cross-town match-up with Harbor. Harbor has already turned heads with their week one victory against Cerritos and EC will look to stop their high-powered offense this weekend.

With Holmes gone for the season, the Warriors will look to find another person ready to step up when needed and help the team when their number is called, Featherstone said.

“We’re going to work on the basics and come back ready next week,” Featherstone said.