Volleyball team sweeps away competition

The women’s volleyball team defeated all competition at last Friday’s 5th annual El Camino Classic.

The Warriors’ victories included sweeps of Santa Barbara City College and Cypress College.

“Our team’s returning players are a big part of our success,”Le Valley Pattison, coach, said. “We have seven kids coming back this year with a year under their belt and they’re bigger and stronger.”

In the team’s first match, the Warriors swept the Vaqueros of Santa Barbara 25-18, 25-16 and 25-13.

Lauren Edwards, middle blocker, led the team with 11 kills, seven digs and three blocks.

“I talk a lot on the court. I try to help everyone out, if someone needs help, I’m there to help,” Edwards said.

The team will travel to San Diego Mesa College this weekend to play in another tournament.

“I feel good about this team going into this tournament,” Edwards said. “There are going to be  some good teams like Pierce College who won the championship last year and teams from our conference like Long Beach City College, so it should be a fun tournament.”

The first game was a back-and-forth contest throughout. Tied up at 3-3, Edwards served two straight aces and the Warriors went on a 5-0 run to take a commanding lead.

Santa Barbara went on a run by scoring 10 of the next 14 points to tie the game at 18.

The Warriors then went on a rally of their own by scoring seven straight points to win the game.

The team took over the second game, but the third game was a challenge.

The Vaqueros came out of the gate hot, jumping out to a 10-4 lead showing why they were ranked 9th last year in the state.

The Warriors fought back to tie the game, 13-13.

There were three lead changes and the teams were tied six times, but the Warriors pulled out at victory.

Tulia Barnes led the team with seven blocks and six kills. Keely Stevenson had a team leading 14 digs.

During the second match of the day, the Warriors swept the Cypress College Chargers, who were ranked 3rd in the state last season, by a score of 25-19, 25-16 and 25-18.

Edwards led her warriors again by stepping it up with 12 kills, 11 digs and three blocks.

Her twin sister, Kaitlyn Edwards, outside hitter, also added eight kills, seven digs and three blocks.

The Edwards sisters will look play a major factor this season and will be looked at to perform.

Miranda Gagnier, middle blocker, played  as well by leading the team with six blocks.

Sarah McFadden, setter, and also another one of the returners from last season, had a great game distributing the ball with a team high 32 assists.

“I played all right, I can do better,” Mcfadden said. “It was ok, I can always improve.”