Defense leads way in blowout

With the NFL season beginning, the Warriors had a suffocating defense that might remind some of the Baltimore Ravens.

The defensive front guided the team to victory after tallying nine sacks and one forced fumble.

The Warriors’ offense got off to a dull start after Omar Herrera, quarterback, was sacked three times.

The offense was in an unfamiliar situation in the first quarter, which saw the team punt on its first drive and then have an interception the next.

“We were kind of slow in the beginning, but we were determined to win,” A.J. Johnson, running back, said. “That’s why we played so aggressively in the second half.”

A.J. was part of the Warriors rushing attack that ran for 293 yards and scored three rushing touchdowns.

Peter Walton starred for the Warriors’ three-headed monster at running back which features A.J. Johnson along with Ricky Johnson.

Walton got the offense going at the start of the second half with an 8-yard touchdown run to cap a 37-yard drive.

Walton wasn’t done yet, he followed that touchdown with a highlight reel, 67-yard touchdown run on the first play of the fourth quarter to put the Warriors up 27-7.

Walton would go on to rush for 124 yards on 12 carries and averaged a first-down for every carry. A.J. Johnson added a 15-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter to bring the score to 34-7.

The teams lone receiving touchdown came at the end of the first half when Herrera connected with Jarrod Shaw for an 11-yard touchdown pass to cap a 58-yard drive.

The story of the game was the stifling defense which allowed an early touchdown, but went on to shutout Grossmont the last three quarter of the game.

“The tempo of the game was dictated by defense”, John Featherstone, coach, said.

Timothy Ehinger, defensive end, led the defense with two sacks. Along with Ehinger, Kellen Lockwood, Jordan Tavai, Jabari Mathieu, Dario Lozano, Utoikamanu Sekona and Brandon Johnson each registered one sack.

The offense will be looking to improve when the team travels to Orange Coast College to face Golden West College on Saturday at 6 p.m.

“The offense did a lot of flopping around and had too many fumbles,” Featherstone said.

Featherstone had some other concerns which will be worked on during practice this week, which includes improving punt returns, discipline and playing as a team. The team will look to show these improvements this weekend’s game.

“Golden West is a good team, with good players and they will be a challenge, we have our hands filled,” Featherstone said.